Sag Mill Foundation
Heavy Fuel Oil Storage Tank
Simberi Gold Expansion Project
St Barbara Ltd (formerly Allied Gold)
Plant Expansion to 3.5 MTPA + 10.5 MWatt Power Station Replacement + Fuel Storage:
Fraser Osborn is undertaking the EPCM component for the expansion of the existing oxide gold treatment
plant on Simberi Island in the New Ireland Province of PNG.
The scope of work includes the following:
- Installation of a reclaim tunnel complete with apron feeder to provide feed to the new grinding circuit.
- New grinding circuit incorporating SAG mill, SER unit, feed conveyor, cyclones and with the capacity to
be able to utilise the existing ball mill in series if required, for increased throughput. The SAG mill
has a liner handler.
- Two additional leach tanks in order to provide the required residence time for gold dissolution.
The existing tanks will all be converted to pulp tanks.
- A new carbon safety screen and tails box is required for the increased throughput. The existing
loaded carbon screen is to be raised in order to be able to feed the revised elution layout which
will consist of two columns in series (one for acid washing and one for elution).
- A new pregnant liquor tank will be installed as part of the upgrade as well as two additional
- A tailings thickener is included to recover cyanide liquid and recirculate it.
- A cyanide destruction circuit has also been included together with the required reagent mixing
facility for cyanide destruction. The discharge from the cyanide destruction circuit will report to
the existing deep sea tails disposal tank.
- Other facilities include new high and low pressure air, additional process water pumps and
raw water pumps, a fire protection system for the plant, electrical system upgrade to
accommodate the 11kV drive on the new SAG mill complete with new motor control centres,
transformers and low voltage distribution. The upgraded system will utilise the same control system
as the existing plant.
- Commissioning of the plant including performance testing.
Heavy Fuel Oil Power Station:
The power station replacement and fuel storage is a standalone project separate from the plant
expansion and is being undertaken on an EPCM basis. The Project consists of replacing the existing
diesel-fired Aggreko power station with heavy fuel oil (HFO) fired Wartsila units. The advantage of HFO
is that it is more economical than diesel.
Scope of work is as follows:
- Selection of gensets based on previous work undertaken by Simberi Gold Company Ltd.
- Foundation design.
- Installation for each of the power generation sets.
- Design of the high voltage switchboard for the power station.
- Electrical reticulation from the power station through to the existing plant and expanded plant.
- Progressive commissioning of the power station and tie-ins to the existing 11kV feeder network
and the expanded plant.
Other Projects of Interest: